Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mt. Shuksan, North Cascades- Washington

Although I’d seen the North Cascades many times, the first time I was really staggered by their grandeur was from the window of an Alaskan Airlines 737 on a trip to Mexico. I set my sights on the (my opinion) most impressive plumb in the range, Mount Shuksan. A year later I made it to the top in deteriorating weather that prevailed for 8 more days and stymied my attempts on two other mountains in the area.
4 tiny climbers make their way across the upper Sulphide Glacier to the summit head wall.

The summit. Although the weather was perfect on top, the thick clouds on the left side of the photo settled in for the next 8 days. I navigated my way back to high camp through thick fog, using the GPS I'd luckily brought along.